Umbria – self drive tour
- 5 days s
Completely autonomous trip to discover the beauties of the Umbria.
5 days s
- 4 overnights in a 4-star hotel in Perugia on BB basis
- Category C car and “GOLD insurance” included
- Car insurance included
- Second driver included
- City taxes (must to be paid on spot)
- Meals and drinks at meals
- Porterages and personal expenses
- Anything not expressly indicated in “the rate includes”
Day 1 - ARRIVAL
Arrive at Airport. After picking up the rental car drive to Perugia city of art and history, located in a splendid position between the Tiber Valley and Lake Trasimeno. Upon arrival, climb up to the fortress, the heart of the historic center, enclosed by Etruscan and medieval walls.
- Suggested itinerary: City tour: the Palazzo dei Priori, now home to the Town Hall and the Umbrian National Gallery, the Fontana Maggiore, symbol of the city and wonderful example of sculpture, executed by the brothers Nicola and Giovanni Pisano in 1280, the Cathedral of San Lorenzo, dating back to the mid-fourteenth century. Visit of the Noble College of Exchange, ancient seat of bankers and money changers, a real treasure chest. The Audience Hall houses a cycle of frescoes by Pietro Perugino, a masterpiece of the artist at the height of his career at the end of the fifteenth century. At the end of the visit time available in the city center. We suggest a stop at one of the historic pastry shops in Perugia to enjoy one of the chocolate specialties or a visit to the Galleria Nazionale Umbra inside the Palazzo dei Priori. In October: possibility to visit the stands of Eurochocolate in Perugia. Accommodation in hotel. overnight.
Day 2 - ASSISI
Breakfast at the hotel. This day we suggest you to spend your day in Assisi.
- Suggested itinerary: Drive to Assisi, listed by UNESCO as a World Heritage Site because it "preserves a set of masterpieces of the human creative genius". Each stone speaks of its most illustrious citizen, Saint Francis, Patron of Italy. The visit, between art and spirituality, starts from the Basilica of Santa Maria degli Angeli that houses the "Porziuncola", the place where Saint Francis died: remained for a long time in neglect, was restored by Francis himself on his return to Assisi at the end of 1207. Continue to the center where you will admire the Basilica of San Francesco with the tomb of the Saint and the beautiful frescoes of Giotto and his school. Along the alleys you reach the Church of S. Chiara with the relics of the Saint and the wooden crucifix that, according to tradition, spoke to Saint Francis. Return to hotel and overnight.
Day 3 - SPELLO & SPOLETO
Breakfast in the hotel. This day we suggest you to spend your day in Spello and Spoleto.
- Suggested itinerary: Breakfast at the hotel. The day is dedicated to visiting some of the most beautiful cities of Umbria. First visit to Spello, an ancient medieval village on the slopes of Mount Subasio, among the most beautiful in Italy. Visit of the Baglioni Chapel inside the Collegiate Church of Santa Maria Maggiore, famous for a cycle of frescoes by Pinturicchio dating back to 1500 and the ceramic floors of Deruta. Continue to Spoleto. Visit the town: the Roman Theatre, the Mauri Palace, the Church of Sant'Ansano and the Arch of Druso. In the afternoon you reach the Marmore Falls, a natural spectacle of incredible charm, listed by UNESCO as a World Heritage Site. Praised over the centuries for its beauty, it appears as a roaring column of water distributed over three jumps over 165 meters high. Walk along one of the paths of the park. In the evening return to the hotel, overnight.
Day 4 - GUBBIO
Breakfast in the hotel. This day we suggest you to spend your day in Gubbio.
- Suggested itinerary: Departure towards Gubbio, one of the oldest towns in Umbria, at the foot of Mount Ingino. Visit the historic center with the Piazza Grande, a real terrace over the city, the Palazzo dei Consoli with its unmistakable crenellated profile, the Cathedral and the Ducal Palace in Renaissance style wanted by Federico da Montefeltro. Possibility of ascent by funicular on Mount Ingino (optional and extra charge) to the Basilica of Sant'Ubaldo, protector of the city- Return to the hotel and overnight.
Day 5 - DEPARTURE
Breakfast in the hotel. Check out at 10:00. Drive to the airport, release of the car and end of our services. Grazie e arrivederci!
No Review Available